We all dare to be different but at times we fall to the trap of not asking those who have made it how they did it. Through my research about the success stories of young entrepreneurs who are game changers i first had to go through the story of the Social Networker, Mark Zuckerberg, the Co-founder of Facebook and below are some of the success secrets i took and believe every entrepreneur can modify them to reach their destiny.
1) Have A Dream~ According to Napoleon Hill, “Desire is the starting point of all achievements.” What do you want to from life? Where do you want to be in 10 years time? The dream of Mark was to cut all the distance barriers that may hinder communication between individuals by creating a system were people can share and update what they will be doing thereby creating an open and connected world.
2) Think Big ~ Humans limit themselves to only what they can see, Mark’s secret weapon was that he saw beyond the normal scope. Whilst his friends saw Facebook as a college project, he saw it as a worldwide project that would change the way people communicate. Value terms, his friends saw it as a million dollar project but however in the eyes of Mark, it was a billion dollar projects (Billionaire mindset a topic for another day.) Mark turned down $1 billion from Yahoo! in 2006 but however Mark just believed the value of Facebook was more than that offer and thus as an entrepreneur you should not just accept all offers that come on the table, know your value and that of your start-up in a bigger scope thus why in total Mark managed to turn down 11 offers for Facebook.
3) Start Small ~ Instead of waiting for million dollar startup capital from venture capitalists, Mark was able to start The Facebook from his dormitory room with little capital and today he is the youngest billionaire in the world.
4) Believe in Yourself ~ Self belief is a pre-requisite of any successful venture, unless if you believe in yourself you will not be able to fully realize and utilize your potential effectively and efficiently. Never believe that to startup a business you have to trust in someone, lay it all down to yourself because if you don’t do it, who will do it for you. Just as you are in charge of controlling your vision and dream, you have to believe that you will accomplish it all. Mark believed in his potential thus why he had the guts to turn down offers from major companies like Microsoft and Yahoo.
5) Follow your passion ~ Mark from his childhood was a programming enthusiastic and he sticked to it. At the age of 12 he programmed an instant messaging app “zucknet which was used by his dad in his dental practice.” Mark broke lots of rules and eventually dropped out of college as to sustain his dream and that single sacrifice makes him standout as one of the richest college dropouts. Results may not show in your venture a year or two after you have started, only if you are passionate about it, you dream big and in yourself things will change.
6) Be prepared for criticism ~ Mark never accepts criticism to affect him personally. His major wish was that nobody made a film about him while he was still alive but am sorry Mark someone already did come up with one; The Social Network. Criticism is a necessity to attack and pull you down instead be prepared to drop it and step on it to reach greater heights. In the face of many lawsuits against all the updates Mark made to The Facebook, he still keeps going and he never allows such situations determine his next move.
7) Be Diligent ~ No man gets to the top with both hands in his pocket ” Proverbs 12:11 ESV Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits lacks sense.” No man has ever become rich in this life even in the bible by folding his hands, you gotta be a hard-worker.
8) Don’t be afraid to compete with the greats ~ Mark wanted Facebook to be the hottest site in the internet and his main competition came from Google, the search engine. However he was not able to take it head-on but with courage he managed to be a risk taker thus he went for the ambitious shot and Google feeling the heat, it once did make some offers to purchase Facebook.
9) Be Focused ~ Mark focused about fulfilling Facebook’s mission i.e. making the world open thus how he managed to withstand Google. As an entrepreneur you have to concentrate your energy, thoughts and capital on one goal so as to maximize results. Diversified efforts yield minimum results. Mark focused on Facebook and it was facebook alone thus he managed to produce the goals.
10) Learn to take risk ~ From Mark we draw a lot of risky missions that he took, by dropping out of college, being able to face and compete with google and starting a big project which was doomed to fail due to lack of capital were some of the many situations that mark was involved in. Unlike many start-up founders, Mark is not regretting of the risks he didn’t take because he was able to withstand most of them.
11) Stick to the process ~ Facebook was not built in one day nor was it in a month. Mark did not come out as a billionaire overnight but he worked all this out over a long period of time and still today he is still on it “F.O.C.U.S – Follow One Course Until Successful” – Robert Kiyosaki
The success of Mark Zuckerberg wasn’t extra ordinary, it has nothing to do with luck. Its all about passion, focus, being a risk taker whilst sticking to the process and chasing your dream. Your too can become a billionaire one day but for today you can ask yourself these simple questions:
- Whats your dream?
- Whats required to start that dream of yours?
- Are you passionate about it?
- Whats the processes involved?
- Go Get It!!!